21 April 2009

Marinara and other musings

I know, I haven't blogged for awhile.  I'm getting a little bit of grief for it; not enough to guilt me into writing more often, though.
I'm well into the walking and foot rehab portion of this program.  Every day gets a little easier and yet it's still a thoughtful process to remain positive.  While I am chomping at the bit to regain some of my physical life responsibilites, I still need to take my time.  Some steps are painful and some steps are surprisingly easy.  Then other times I am just OVER the whole thing and want to be done.
I realize some of these emotions could be applied to cooking and how we view the whole eating vs dining experience.  Do you plan, shop, cook for you and your family as if it were a chore or is it an experience you happily take on most days?  I love to cook - most days.  I am fully aware that there are alot of folks who do not.  
Cooking and serving a tasty meal made from fresh, whole ingredients doesn't need to be a grueling experience.  It can be just as easy to throw something together from fresh produce, a protein and a starch as it is to open a box of something full of preservatives, fat and corn syrup. While it may not happen over-night, it will get easier every time.  And one of these days, I will get to go for a run.  Honest.

Jilly's Fast & Easy Marinara:
1 small onion, finely diced
2 T Olive Oil
Saute' over med heat til onion starts to turn golden.  Season w/ a few grinds of fresh pepper and a few healthy sprinkles of kosher salt.
Add:
1 sm can of petite diced Tomatoes
1 sm can of Crushed Tomatoes
1 T Honey
1 T Balsamic Vinegar
1 t fresh orange zest
Gently simmer for 10 minutes.  Adjust Salt to taste.
Toss with cooked pasta and a bit of fresh, chopped herbs.  
I dare you to eat this w/o Parmesan!
Add a bag o' salad and you have a quick & simple dinner.  
For a heartier meal - saute' mushrooms with the onion (add zuccini/summer squash/fresh fennel); grill sausages or a chicken breast as a protein choice; use Tortellini or Ravioli for the pasta.  

No comments:

Post a Comment