05 July 2010

Sunday Morning Focaccia

A number of weeks ago I was approached to participate in the service at my church - Sunset Presbyterian, to bake a cake, onstage, before the message. Pastor Ron's sermon was on the critical ingredients of a successful marriage. I was immediately nervous, but thought I could do it if they let me be a bit nutty (I know, a strectch for me.) After deciding a bread recipe was a better fit for the message (and for me), I agreed.
I've worked on this recipe for years and I can do it my sleep, and now in front of a few hundred people.
You can see the podcast for the 13 June sermon at www.Sunsetpres.org

Jilly's Focaccia
Mix together:
3/4 c warm water - 115 degrees
1 package yeast
Add:
1 T Honey
let rest/proof for 5 minutes 'til foamy.

In a Kitchenaid bowl:
1 c flour
1/2 c grated Parmesan
1 T dried Italian seasoning
1 t kosher salt
couple grinds of fresh pepper

To the yeast liquid add:
1/3 c each: canola oil and olive oil
1 whole egg
Whisk together and add it to the flour mixture. Turn Kitchenaid on low and blend for 5 minutes.
Turn off mixer and add 2 cups flour. Mix on low for 5 minutes with a dough hook. Scrape off dough hook and turn dough into a lightly olive oiled bowl. Cover and place in a warm spot 'til doubled in size - approx one hour.

Chop a small onion with some fresh sage & rosemary, add 1 T olive oil and a healthy pinch of coarse sea salt. Mix well.

Spray a baking sheet and sprinkle a 9" round area with a bit of cornmeal. Turn dough onto cornmeal and push out into the size of a small pizza about 1 inch thick.
Spread onion-herb mixture over dough, push into dough with finger tips a bit, cover and let proof in a warm place for 15-20 minutes.
Place dough in pre-heated 375 oven for approx 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Let cool a bit.
Try not to eat immediately.
It's not great the next day but will make a lovely panini and makes killer croutons and strata.

No comments:

Post a Comment