09 July 2010

Honey, Can you make Asian Ribs?

You betcha'! (loosely translates to: I think so...)
On the 5th of July, which is usually officially the start of Summer here in the Pacific Northwest, I had a hankering for some Babybacks. Michael requested an Asian flavor profile. After consulting Cooks Illustrated and my spice inventory I came up with this rub:
1 T Curry Powder
1 t ground Ginger
2 t Chinese Five Spice
1 t Garlic Powder
2 T Dark Brown Sugar
1 T Kosher Salt
fresh ground Pepper

After brining the ribs, in a sugar/salt solution for one hour in the fridge (cut each rack in half to get them in the ziplok) I rinsed and dried them thoroughly. I sprinkled the rub generously over the ribs, front and back, wrapped 'em up and refrigerated them for an additional hour.
At this point, I started the coals. I used a combo of charcoal and hardwood briquettes, so I chose not to use soaked wood chips for any additional smoke. I dumped the coals to one side of the grill and set up a roasting rack (coated with pan spray) - upside down - on the opposite side of the grill. I placed a 1/2 rack in each slot. Place the lid back on the grill with the vents over the ribs.

I'm fairly sure my fire was too hot when I started, so the ribs didn't cook exactly "low & slow". I didn't close the lid tightly to accommodate for this mis-step, leaving an opening over the hot coals. They did cook beautifully, although they were finished with the grill process in a little over 2 hours. When the meat is shrinking away from the end of the bones, they're done.
****At this point, I wrapped up the ribs in foil, placed them inside a paper grocery bag, folded it closed and set the ribs inside the microwave - DO NOT TURN IT ON! - to rest for an hour. This is actually a critical step!!!****

While the Ribs were resting, I whipped up a little Asian BBQ Sauce:
3/4 Rice Wine Vinegar
1/2 c Sugar
2 T Soy Sauce
2 T Asian Sweet Chili Sauce
2 T Hoisin Sauce
Bring to a boil and let simmer for 7-10 minutes into a saucie/glazee/sticky deliciousness.

Serve alongside the ribs. Honestly, I don't think they needed the sauce. But if you're into "gilding the lily", as I am, it's worth the effort.

Bonus Application:
I used the same rub on a few Rib Eyes last night. Sliced 'em thin-ish, on the diagonal, put 'em on skewers, drizzled 'em with a little Sesame Oil and slapped 'em on the gas grill. Drizzle with the same BBQ Sauce. Garnish with Cilantro and limes. Mercy.


1 comment: