21 March 2009

Mad Grocery Shopper


Do you ever peruse the groceries on the belt in front/back of your order at the check-out?  Do you try to figure out what they're going to make?  How busy their week is?  If they live alone?  Are they going to a party?  WHY ARE THEY SPENDING THEIR $$$ ON THAT?!
I always do this.  I mostly take note of the produce:  how much fresh vs frozen/canned vegies. Most canned produce makes me sad.  There is just no way you can replace fresh, steamed/sauteed', green beans/asparagus/mushrooms/brocoli/carrots with canned, no way. There are exceptions: any canned tomato, bean, artichoke or Hispanic product is totally fine and are pantry staples in our kitchen.  Frozen vegies don't freak me out so much; frozen corn, peas and hash browns are always in my freezer - but frozen "Vegie Medleys" are kinda icky to me.  Instant mashed potatoes are a crime on humanity and canned potatoes?!  yuck.
Which brings us to the pre-packaged, processed "Complete" meals...they are so full of junk and preservatives, it's no wonder our society is dealing with such grave health and obesity issues.  And this stuff is sooo expensive.
No don't get me wrong, I enjoy a few convenience products just like the next Mad Housewife.  But I do scrutinize the ingredients lists; the easier it is to pronounce the ingredients, the healthier it is.  Corn sweeteners/syrup/starch and hydrolized/hydrogenated stuff freaks me out.  I love all of Annie's Mac products; I like Farmhouse Wild Rice Pilaf, Ghiradelli Dark Brownie Mix (I always add Kahlua or Scotch or Triple Sec to it!)  and I like to have Krusteaz stuff in the house for emergencies.  We always have emergency kid food too:  frozen taquitos, ramen, Progresso chix noodle soup, Morningstar Farms Corndogs and Nancy's mini Quiche. 
I realize that not everyone has time for a "scratch meal" every night of the week...I don't.  But I do believe that there are a few simple things that will not only help you to eat more healthy; they won't take any more time and might actually save you a few bucks. 
Jilly here, trying to save the world one fresh head of brocoli at a time.




1 comment:

  1. I often observe other folks' groceries, mostly because we're Mostly Veg at home, so I know people are looking at my Costco belt thinking, "peppers, cukes, lettuce, spinach, apples, artichokes, asparagus...where's the *food*?"

    ReplyDelete